• I was born in and live in Texas. I am a fifth generation Texan.
• I have lived in South Carolina, Georgia (twice), Louisiana, and Texas.
• I am a Southern Baptist.
• I still reread Lewis Grizzard’s “If I Ever Get Back To Georgia, I’m Gonna Nail My Feet To The Ground”
• I have read Shelby Foote’s “The Civil War: A Narrative” (all three volumes; No, the late Shelby Foote did not have an accent. The people with accents were the one’s interviewing Shelby!)
• I read and understood William Faulkner’s “Light in August” and “Absalom, Absalom”.
• I love fried okra, turnip greens, and pork chops.
• I have two aunts that have been married to the same man.
• My father was a career non-commissioned office in the United States Air Force.
• I am a US Army veteran who was trained at Fort Benning, Georgia and also jumped out of perfectly good airplanes.
I swear on the memories of Ellen Glasgow and Katherine Anne Porter that the above are true statements. Signed, Jimmie A. KeplerRead more
The Dead Mule School
Online since 1996. "No good Southern fiction, poetry, essays, cornbread, coon mule jumping competition, swamp dance or pig pickin' is complete without a dead mule..."